Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Final Post

This will be the final entry for this blog "autismusictherapy".

Since my first entry in August 2010, I have documented my journey through my pilot study. Upon completion of the summer residency I had already written the pilot and was set to implement my protocol. During the residecy I was able to interview all of the participant families and thus worked with the actual participants in music therapy the week after the residency ended.

In review of the entries posted on this blog I notice how I have little time to get to the depths of data analysis required in the examination of this pilot study. This work will be a big step for me. This blog gave the insight to think about time management and how to best configure opportunities in my schedule for data analysis. It was seemingly easy to develop the pilot and carry it out - as I had done this before in previous research lab settings - but analysis is a new and more cognitive experience for me. Through out my coursework I have learned to infuse an artistic process into my work - maintain the fun creative aspects of the work. I am eager to analyze and review my video data - it is simply a time committment that is not available to me a the moment. I am teaching 6 classes this semester, in addition to taking five classes, in addition to my private practice, and the purchase of a new home. I have put many of these commitments before my pilot study. My plan is to implement the analysis during the one month break from teaching college in January. I look forward to this special time to be with my work.

Thank you to the blog for allowing me to examine these limitations and recognize the importance of limiting my work schedule to focus on this pilot study. I know that I will need to make a better plan of reducing my work load in order to pass the qualifying exam and move on to dissertation for next year!

1 comment:

  1. Krystal-I'm certainly hearing you about the time constraints! Over the past year, I've had to cut back on many of my previous commitments--mostly AMTA related. I initially mourned the loss of not remaining a member of the Ed. & Training Advisory Board (I love that work!), but in hindsight, it has been a blessing. Priorities, priorities...so hard to order them-for me; for you; for us all. But somehow, it always seems to work out for the best--I'm sure you'll find a way to manage it..even if something else has to give! It will be worth it in the end! Keep 'truckin'!

    ReplyDelete